FCB New York’s “Whopper Detour” campaign which re-directed McDonald’s customers to the nearest Burger King to get a sandwich for just 1¢ won two Grand Clio trophies last night at the Clio awards gala in New York.
The campaign won for the digital/mobile and direct categories. The wins helped catapult Burger King to the Clio’s Advertiser of the Year award. The campaign also won a bunch of awards at Cannes earlier this year. Horizon Media handled media chores for the campaign.
Droga5 and the New York Times also picked up a pair of Grand Clios, including one for the publication’s ‘The Truth Is Worth It” campaign in the film category and the “Read More. Listen More” campaign in the partnerships and collaboration category.
Other 2019 Grand Clio Award winners included:
- Branded Entertainment: Blue Heart, Farm League for Patagonia
- Design: Insta Novels, Mother New York for The New York Public Library
- Experiential/Events: Lessons for Good, Publicis Italy for Leroy Merlin
- Fashion & Beauty: Breast Cancer Awareness – Idris Elba by Stella McCartney
- Innovation: Changing The Game, McCann New York for Microsoft
- Integrated Campaign: Viva La Vulva, AMVBBDO for Essity Libresse/Bodyform
- Out Of Home: Air Max Graffiti Stores, AKQA for Nike
- Public Relations: A world without borders, Ogilvy & Mather Mexico for Aeromexico
- Social Media: Philly Philly, Wieden+Kennedy New York for Bud Light
- Use of Music: Share Your Gifts, Kobalt Music Group for Apple
- Music Marketing: The Uncensored Playlist, DDB Group GmbH for Reporters Without Borders
McCann New York took home agency of the year honors while network of the year went to BBDO Worldwide.
More on this year’s awards can be found here.